Transmath or Language Live Group Idea

Hey there!
Sorry, again, for the long hiatus. Jared and I got married this weekend and it turned out to be a very stressful but fun affair. Lots to do!
The last post I wrote included info about how many students I have in my groups. My 6th grade groups for Language and Math are huge, so in order to do actual small group instruction, my mentor teacher and I came up with a plan. I don't know how widespread the use of Voyager Sopris curriculum is, but I imagine this can be adapted to almost any curriculum.
(My dogs are currently hopping up and down on the couch to get my attention, so this will be a short post.)
Here is the schedule for Language! Live
Station 1: Language Live Lesson
Station 2: Language Live Sight Word Games
Station 3: Reading, Writing, and Hands On
Station 4: Mrs. J2

The first two stations are on the computer. The third station is actually on the floor, and this week we are reading books on the planets to supplement the constellation study in Language Live. Later on, I plan on having students create 3D models of their favorite constellation. The fourth station is with me, where we read out of the Language textbook.
All groups go to each of the stations everyday for 20 minutes for Language, and 15 minutes for Math.  So far, it seems to have worked with the 6th graders; they enjoy the movement and don't get bored with activities.

As for Transmath, the schedule is very similar:
Station 1: Vmath Live Lesson
Station 2: Vmath Live Games
Station 3: Problem Solving
Station 4: Mrs. J2

The problem solving stations is comprised of the awesome problem solving worksheets I got from the transmath interactive textbook. Basically, the students must read the directions and solve the problem. Today, they had to pick a unit of measurement and measure from my desk to the doorway. They had a lot of fun with that!
I really like the way these groups are going so far. The kids seem pleased with the variety of activities and the amount of independent work they can accomplish, as well as the movement around the room instead of working at just 2 stations for 90 or 60 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts