Lots of Things

I've been absent again. Oops.
I've went through several phases in the last two months. At first, I wasn't planning on blogging about them, but then I decided I should, because I want to remember this year- the good and the bad.
So the first phase was: Yay! School is back in session!
I was so excited to be teaching again after the winter break, even though the break was much-needed and very fun. I was excited to see my kids, refreshed and ready to learn again.
Then the second phase was: my God, I can't wait for this year to end. And I wrestled (and am still wrestling a little) with leaving before the school year was over, since my husband is PSCing (moving with the Army) next month, and I kinda haven't lived with him since October and I miss him terribly all day, every day. But I decided that I need to stay- the kids need me to finish out the year with them.
Then I was glad I decided to stay. The day before Valentine's Day, I was given a dolphin tattoo by a student. I feel like too much time has passed to tell the whole story right now, but it made me feel great about my teaching. It made me feel empowered, like my teaching matters. And I was riding high on that empowerment, except that now testing is here- the dry, boring, non-education two weeks of testing. I get tired just watching my kids struggle.
We have had 3 full weeks of testing this year, not to mention 2 practice days of PARCC, and one other practice test day. We have at least 3 more weeks of testing to go.
And just for fun, here are some interesting facts about Pearson, who runs every standardized test ever, as well as standardized testing in general.

https://deutsch29.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/hey-kids-take-the-parcc-test-qualify-for-an-ipad-mini/

http://www.alternet.org/education/corporations-profit-standardized-tests

https://deutsch29.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/incompetent-pearson-wins-parcc-contract-big-surprise/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-singer/why-pearson-tests-our-kid_b_5484257.html

It's disturbing.


Comments

Popular Posts