The Halloween Kit was a Donut

Parenting a young child comes with some perks. For instance, Kit has little to no ways of picking what she’d like to be for Halloween, so the past two years, Jared and I have gotten to run wild with ideas. Last year, we settled on Kit being Mrs. President, and we her secret service. This year, it was much tougher to agree on a costume and I eventually just told Jared what I’d be making. I don’t think he loved the idea at first, but he warmed up to it when he got to wear shiny props.

This year, Kit was a doughnut, and we her owners- aka, police officers.

Here’s how we did it!

For Kit’s costume, we found an inflatable 20” pool tube. Here at our Walmart, it was about $1.80. We purchased two different colors of polycotton fabric, one brown and one blue, about 1/2 a years each, though I believe to cover the tube, I really only used about 1/4 of a yard of fabric. Each half a yard was $1.50. Pipe cleaners, I used about 4, and I think the bag was roughly a dollar.

Then came lots and lots of hot glue! I probably went through a minimum of 5 mini sticks.



First, strips of the brown polycotton onto the inflated tube. 






Gluing the blue polycotton on. I tried to make it wavy, like glaze, but it didn’t quite work. 


Finished project!! 

We just added some yarn loops to loop over Kit’s shoulders for her to carry the donut. Our own costumes are not what one would call stunning. Cardboard name tags, simple dark shirts, a few props bought from amazon. You can’t blame us, considering we got back from mainland two days ago! But Kit got some compliments on her costume! She was pretty happy to teeter around in it until it got a little late for her. She really enjoyed Trick or Treating around our new neighborhood! 

Happy Halloween!



Comments

Popular Posts