I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy

 

I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy


This is a brilliantly written book and I loved it! It was unfortunately too old for Kit and she lost interest in it very quickly. I think it would be more appropriate for second grade kids and up. What a bummer for us, because it's a really awesome book!

What I Liked:
-This a decent recounting of Ruth's life, professionally and personally
-The art!
-The font brings attention to words that are typically considered negative: dissent, disagree, objected. These are powerful words and kids should know it's not always bad to disagree, object, etc.
-Marty is depicted as supporting Ruth and parenting right alongside her, and vice versa.
-The value of friendship, despite opposing views, is celebrated in the book.
-The value of calmly, and reasonably, arguing even emotionally-charged topics is celebrated.
-There is a final section in the book in more detail about Ruth's life, as well as photographs.

What I Didn't Like:
-This book is unfortunately a little outdated and it states that Ruth is still in the Supreme Court and does not reflect her death.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts