First Two Weeks of School

Man, I am just horrible at keeping promises when it comes to this blog! I STILL don't have pictures up of my classroom, but you probably wouldn't want to see it anyway. Or, rather, I wouldn't want you to see it. The pictures would be the sort where you go in thinking, "My room is a disaster!" and come out thinking, "Wow, I must be the best interior decorater ever!" My room is that bad! 

But oh well! I have survived!!

These last two weeks have been insane. Really, insane. Insane. Like, really, really, INSANE!

I started off with 16 6th graders and 11 5th graders. It was okay, for the first day of school. Then the second day, I had some sort of awful stomach bug, so I stayed home. The third and forth day, I was at training. (In here somewhere, there was a misunderstanding about my classes being cancelled, and I didn't leave sub plans. Huge misunderstanding. Thank God my principal is understanding.)
The fifth day, I was finally back at work, and one of my students asked, "Hey miss, did you go and get married? Cause you were gone for three days. I missed you." Yes, very sweet.

And then, there was the 6th day. Monday. 6, it turns out, is a bad number.

Suddenly, the students who had been so quiet and sweet on days 1 and 5, were bursting into my classroom with a vengeance. I don't know what I did to deserve this, but whatever it was, I must have really done something bad!

Kids were yelling, and talking loudly. Eventually, after what seemed like twelve hours, but was probably only thirty minutes, I got them quiet and they sat in their desks like they had the week before. And I began DRA testing. Every so often, I had to shush them again to keep the room quiet. I hate using my teacher voice!

Then, three kids were added to my class, and one more is coming soon. I have kids coming out of my ears! My computers are not working. My classroom phone doesn't even work. There is so much to do before Friday! And naturally, I not only got the kids, but their germs, and I've been sick, again, since Monday night.

And that's pretty much how every day of school went this whole week. It feels like it should really be Friday tomorrow.

I have heard other teachers say, "Expect to cry every day for the first three years of teaching." I know all of that sounded really depressing. But on the upside, I've only cried once, and I haven't been committed to a mental hospital (yet)! And today, I actually left work before it was dark, and *gasp* I planned for all of next week!

I hope all of your classes are going smoothly!
How do you get through your first couple weeks of school?

J2

Comments

Popular Posts