The Beginning of a Journey

Hi all!
I'm Jessica, a first year teacher. (Well, I have yet to actually start teaching!)
I'm starting this blog to keep track of my teaching journey. Hopefully you'll follow my story and we can learn something together!
A little background about me: I am (almost) 21, a little sensitive about my age, but eager to share my young journey with others with a similar, or very different! age. I grew up in a small town and I graduated from a local university in May with my bachelors in special education and elementary education. Originally, I had wanted to teach 3rd grade. Where I grew up, special ed was "those kids" at the back of the campus. We did not share lunches, and the most contact we had was in the hall way between classes, which didn't happen often, since "they" were at the back of the campus. Fast forward a few years: I was interviewing for a paraeducator job at an elementary school. The principal asked me if I would be comfortable with special education. Because I didn't want to seem ignorant or ungrateful, I said, "Absolutely!" even though I had horrible, shameful thoughts going through my head: Aren't those the kids with feeding tubes and diapers? I don't know how to care for kids like that, much less teach them! I am ashamed to admit that I did indeed think those thoughts and I have heard from others that they thought the same type of things. (Obviously, we need more education regarding special education.) A few weeks after accepting the job, I was in the classroom, with kids who were perfectly normal. They were bright, funny, they loved to play, and they did their best. I couldn't believe that I had been terrified of teaching "these" kids. They were wonderful! And that is when I realized, Wow, these kids are like any other... all they need is a little more help. And that's okay!
So when just a few weeks before, I had been worried out of my mind (you will learn that I am a very anxious person! ;) )  about teaching in special education,  I suddenly made a huge decision and I enrolled in a dual license program, so I could be certified K-12 special education as well as K-8 regular education. My family wondered if I had made the right decision, but I knew I had. Knowing where I belonged had never been any more clear to me than it was then. It was like falling in love: when you know, you know!
So here I am after 4 years of night school and working odd jobs until I found my place. I am very excited to start on this incredibly beautiful journey, and I am happy to be able enjoy it with you all!
J2

Comments

Popular Posts