Koko Head Trail

We've had a couple of adventures in Hawaii so far, but this is the one I'm posting first.

Koko Head has amazing views, but nobody told me how difficult it would be! Honestly, I'm still recovering, even though we went on Saturday.

We pulled up to the parking lot and were instantly treater with a beautiful view. We strode down to the restroom nearby before going up to the hike.
Nearby the restrooms, there were a couple of picnic tables beneath the tree. I wish I'd known there'd be an opportunity for picnicking, but we had already stopped to eat at L&L. Yum! And on second thought, it's not the best idea to eat right before hiking up Koko Head.
The beginning of the trail from the parking lot was paved and deceptively easy. I thought we would be going for a cute stroll on a sidewalk.



















Morning glory?
Bouganvillea!
Jared and Kit on the beginning of the trail

Well, it wasn't such a cute little stroll after all! It actually ended up being a little tough. Part way throuh, there is a bridge with a 40 foot drop below it, and I hate heights! I found out that there is actually a bypass trail on the right side that I wish I had known up before walking holding desperately onto Princess with one hand and crawling across with the other hand. Jared carried Kit on the way up using the little carrier, so thankfully I didn't have to cross the bridge with her on my back.


As we slowly meandered up the hike, we had to move to the side quite a few times to let faster hikers pass. I had some difficulty with some of the railroad track "stairs," as some of them were quite tall and I had to literally climb over a lot of them. Locals definitely know how to get up and down this trail, as a lot of them were hopping around the stairs with ease. 

But the views were worth it! 


Funnily, we ended up being passed three times by a very fit man in his late seventies or eighties. Oh, the shame!! 
But oh, those views. My shoddy photography really doesn't do it justice. 


There is actually a "Kokonut Challenge" occurring this week. For people more fit than myself!

I talked to a guy yesterday who told me a little about the history of Koko Head. Apparently before being used as a lookout for the military, it was used as a place for human sacrifices. King Kamehameha was evidently a fan of these sacrifices, and the islands were only united by him in the late 1800s. (This is all from word of mouth, so if I got it wrong, it's my own fault for not doing my research!) 

I met a kind local woman on the way up who told me Christmas Day on Koko Head is a big deal for locals. A mysterious but benevolent Santa brings a Christmas tree, fully decorated, to the top of Koko Head for everyone to enjoy! 

If you're in the area, and you haven't already explored Koko Head, I definitely recommend it! But bring lots of water and wear the right kind of shoes. And, be ready to be sore for the next day or so!
Poor Kit doesn't look very happy here, but she had a great time on the way up!

Well Wishes, 
Kit & Kaboodle

Comments

Popular Posts