Refashioning shorts

My first foray into refashioning was thanks to my mom, back when it was not so popular.

I had a project due my junior year of high school for my US history class. We had to pick a decade and make a whole scene out of it, including fashion clothing for the time, music, and a report on various trends happening at the time.

I honestly don't remember much of the project other than my best friend dressing up in a zoot suit, and myself dressing up as none other than the famous Roaring 20's flapper, all thanks to my mom's help!

We didn't have much cash laying around for extra stuff as I recall, so we headed to our town's tiny version of Goodwill and we looked for a dress that might suffice. The closest thing we found was a black negligee, but it had no 20's type frills, and it was way too big for me!

My ingenious mom came up with a plan. We went to Walmart, bought some fringe stuff (I don't know what else you'd call it), and my mom fastidiously sewed it on and took in the sides to make it fit. She also fastened me a headband out of some scrap elastic, if I recall. I loved the project and really valued my mom's creativity and the work she put into it.

I think it was soon after that that I hand embroidered a few roses onto a pair of jeans I loved too much to throw away even though they were too holey. The roses covered up the holes and I added a peace sign on the back because I thought that was cool for some reason. I feel like I need to add that I was born in the 90's, because I think I make myself sound pretty old....

Anyway, I'm about to show you one of my most recent refashions. Since I had Kit, well, a few months before she was born actually, I've had trouble getting my thighs to fit anything. Money doesn't grow on trees around here, so I looked up some ideas on Pinterest (I'm not as creative as my mom) and I got to work.


First, I cut along the side seam of my shorts on both sides.

I cut two separate pieces of lace approximately the length of the seam I cut, plus a little. I used some liquid stitch on the inside of the shorts, flipping them inside out, to secure the lace because pins were pretty difficult to use on this project.
One strip of lace is now attached to the shorts. Let it dry.

While it's drying, find appropriate sewing needles. I used these 130/705's that I've used to sew military OCPs. It needs to be able to sew through your denim, so make sure that the needles you've got are the right ones, or you can risk breaking the needle and possibly your machine.

By looking at my machine, you can see the 00 stitch, (a straight stitch, I think?) which is what I used to secure the lace to either side of the seam. I attached the lace to both sides, repeating the steps with liquid stitch. 



After securing both sides with the 00 stitch, I liquid stitched the lace together. Then, I used the 04 stitch to stitch the two pieces of lace together. I copied all these steps on the other side, then....
Ta-da! Here are the completed shorts. I need to clean up the ends of the lace, and the strings from the cuffs, but they're wearable for now, which is all that's important, because I can't handle another day of pants here in Hawaii!

Comments

Popular Posts